When it comes to your garden and yard, going to your local branch of a chain home improvement store may be easy, but in the end, your landscape design will end up looking just like everyone else’s. If you want to set your home apart from your neighbors in St. Petersburg, you should consider utilizing local species of vegetation and greenery for your gardening. Here are three reasons why native plants are an excellent choice for your yard.
1. Native Species are Hardy
There is a reason that native species are native— they are accustomed to the St. Petersburg environment and have adapted to the climate. Therefore, local plant species are hardy, and the sunlight levels, soil, temperature fluctuations, and water qualities of the local area will be conducive to a thriving flora.
2. Florida Plants are Beautiful
Florida hosts some of the lushest, tropical, and beautiful scenery in the country. With the Gulf of Mexico and the Everglades within a day’s drive, St. Petersburg has the best of the State. When planning your landscape design, consider using these local plants:
- Canna flaccida (golden canna, Bandana-of-the-Everglades)
- Gaillardia pulchella (blanket-flower, gaillardia, Indian blanket)
- Hymenocallis latifolia (mangrove spiderlily, perfuned spiderlily)
- Pityopsis graminifolia (silk-grass, silkgrass)
- Salvia coccinea (scarlet sage, tropical sage, blood sage)
- Osmunda cinnamomea (cinnamon fern)
- Tripsacum dactyloides (eastern gamagrass, Fakahatchee grass)
- Lonicera sempervirens (coral honeysuckle)
3. Native Plant Species are Easy to Acquire
Practicality and efficiency are important with all things, but when it comes to landscape design, using vegetation that is local to St. Petersburg will benefit you because acquiring the plants is convenient.
Check out local nurseries and double up on your contributions to the authenticity of your garden’s Floridian roots.
Landscape Design and Installation with Professor Green Thumb
When it comes to landscape design in Tampa Bay, trust the professionals with the job. At Professor Green Thumb, we have years of training in specialized techniques for optimal yard and garden growth, and our owner, Shannon, has nursery experience where he worked closely with native Florida vegetation and trees. For further information regarding our commercial and residential services, call us today at (727) 417-3311.